Saturday 20 October 2012

Microwaveable meal: Salisbury Steak Meal

After I got off work today, I was hoping to go home and eat some leftovers from today or yesterday's dinner. But, no luck. My parents went out to eat so there wasn't anything to eat at home...except this.

I always try to stay away from microwaveable foods. Well, I did learn the process of how frozen foods are produced, but it is still considered "fast food". 

Banquet - Salisbury Steak Meal
Nutrition Content
Of course, being a nutrition student, I always look at the Nutrition Facts Table! First off, this meal is only 230 Calories. Daily diet for women should be around 2000 Calories/kcal. This being said, I think this meal will only be considered a "snack" or part of a meal. Next thing that caught my attention is the sodium level. The Recommended Dietary Allowance (RDA) for sodium is ~2000 mg. This meal itself is already 930 mg. And this is the reason why a lot of Canadians and Americans are consuming much higher levels of sodium than recommended. With high levels of sodium in our diet, this will lead to an increased risk of various health concerns such as high blood pressure, kidney disease and stroke.

Another thing that was interesting to point out, was folic acid. From my understanding, folate is the natural form and folic acid is the synthetic form. Does this suggest that external sources of folic acid was added?
Final product after microwaving for 5 minutes
On to the taste of the meal! Well, the steak obviously did not really taste like steak. It tasted plastic-y. The sauce was savoury! The high sodium content can probably be traced back to the sauce. The corn was on the dry side. I had to put add some sauce to mix it up. I guess the best part was the mashed potatoes! It is kind of difficult to mess up mashed potatoes :P

I believe my parents got this at WalMart in the states for around $1.25 USD.

No comments:

Post a Comment